Monday, September 26, 2005

V3 Razr - Hugga Bear's take

Having posted on the Motorola V3 Razr a few weeks ago, this is my friend Hugga Bear's more positive take on it. I was never seduced by the looks of the V3 Razr. In fact my initial reaction was that it was an overpriced shell for the same OS and firmware in much cheaper phones. My affair began in a quest for a Bluetooth phone compatible with my car. Determined to keep my existing service provider with the best network in the United States, I purchased Verizon’s only Bluetooth phone, the Motorola V710. Alas Verizon had crippled the BT stack in the phone rendering almost all BT functionality useless. So reluctantly I decided to switch from CDMA to GSM and I sprung the extra sheets for the V3 RAZR. The phone does everything it’s supposed to. Like Rundaas, I have no need for a camera, video playback, games or the need for my phone to microwave my dinner. It paired instantly with my car uploading the entire address book and I enjoy the complete hands-free integration. Incoming calls are identified on the screen in my car, the radio mutes and I answer calls using a button on the steering wheel. Out going calls are voice activated. Simply say “Call Home” and the system dials the call. No wires, no plugging in. The phone remains in my pocket. The phone also pairs with my laptop so I can connect to the internet with it remaining in my pocket. With voice dial, the multiple entry feature is not only redundant but actually a nuisance. An additional prompt is necessary to identify which number you wish to dial. E.g. instead of just requesting “Erd mobile” you request “Erd” and are subsequently prompted to add “mobile, home or work”. So am I hooked on the V3 RAZR ? YES ! The slim form factor is far more than just eye appeal,“pocket friendly” is an understatement. The fact that I do not notice that the phone is in my trouser pocket renders ugly belt clips and holsters unnecessary. The hardest part of leaving the RAZR will be noticing that the phone is on my person.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home